TANSEED 2.0 by StartupTN
The Deadline for Applications has been extended from 20th August,2021 to 20th September 2021>
Hello from the StartupTN Team !!
We are delighted to announce that the Tamil Nadu Startup and Innovation Mission, branded as “StartupTN”, has been established as a Section 8 company under the MSME Department by the Government of Tamil Nadu in March 2021. Our sole mandate is to implement the “Tamil Nadu Startup and Innovation Policy 2018-23” and to offer support through various schemes and programs, thereby creating an enabling ecosystem for startups in the state.
One of the schemes envisaged in the Tamil Nadu Startup and Innovation Policy is the much needed seed fund to support early-stage startups. We launched the first edition of TANSEED (Tamil Nadu Startup Seed Grant Fund) this year during January-February 2021, as a Grand Challenge, in association with “Headstart Network Foundation” and had supported Ten Promising Startups with a seed grant of Rs. 10 Lakh each. (Check events page for program report).
Following its success, We have planned to launch the Second Edition of TANSEED 2021 during July-October 2021 supporting upto 20 Startups with seed grant of INR 10 Lakh each.
Step 1: Registration – 23rd July,2021 to 20th August, 2021 (extended to 20th September, 2021)
Step 2: Online Bootcamp – 2nd to 6th October, 2021
Step 3: Pre-Final Pitch – *9th & 10th October, 2021
Step 4: Final Pitch – *16th & 17th October, 2021
The last date for application is extended from 20th August, 2021 to 20th September, 2021. All participants will be required to register in the StartupTN portal to access the application form. Startups registered and willing to register in Tamil Nadu are eligible to apply.
Who can Participate ?
- Eligibility Criteria:
- Must be above 21 years of age with a minimum higher education qualification.
- Startups must have at least a Proof of Concept (PoC) of the Idea or a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Startups registered in Tamil Nadu or willing to register in Tamil Nadu.
- Students are not permitted to participate in this programme. They can apply for grant under other Initiatives of GoTN like EDII-TN Tamil Nadu Student Innovators.
- Startups registered in other states are not allowed to register for this grant, unless they are willing to register their Headquarters in Tamil Nadu.
- Only one application per Startup/Entity will be accepted.The applications will be shortlisted based on the criteria mentioned in the guidelines and the committee will also evaluate each application using parameters such as Team, Market Potential, Traction (If any & applicable), Impact Potential, Product or Service. Email Communications will be sent to the shortlisted Startups and will be onboarded for the Bootcamp.The Startups will be requested to submit self-declaration forms and any other supporting documents required by StartupTN for due diligence, compliance verification and on a case-to-case basis.
Bootcamp & Pre-Final Pitch
The 3-day Boot Camp (2nd-6th October, 2021) promises to be a constructive session of 1-many and 1-1 sessions by the teams with mentors and experts from the ecosystem. The teams will have the chance to crystallize their ideas and bring out the best in themselves.
After the Boot Camp, teams will be given sufficient time to (re)create and submit their pitch decks for the Pre-Final Pitch which will be conducted over two sessions in front of a jury panel during 9th & 10th October, 2021. They will, then, be shortlisted for the Final Pitch based on the decision of the jury.
During the Pre-Final Pitch, a maximum of 5 minutes will be allotted for every startup, which will be followed by a Q&A session of 5 minutes to a maximum of 10 minutes. The startup teams will be judged based on a fixed criterion and the decision of the jury will be final.
The PitchFest (Final Pitch – *October 16th & 17th, 2021) is the final leg of the event where the teams shall present their startup idea before an esteemed jury of investors and entrepreneurs.
Upto 20 teams will be awarded a grant of INR 10 Lakh each to take their startups forward with continued support from StartupTN.
- A maximum of 5 minutes will be allotted for every team to pitch their ideas.
- The Q&A session shall last a span of 5-10 minutes.
- The teams will be judged based on a fixed criterion.
- Teams need to be present for the complete session.
- The decision of the jury is final.
Criteria for availing the Grant
- The entrepreneur/applicant must be above 21 years of age with a minimum higher education qualification. TANSEED is not for students pursuing any undergraduate degree or below. They may opt for other initiatives of GoTN under EDII-TN and other organizations.
- The entity should be a Startup registered with StartupTN and Startup India. It shall be or agree to be headquartered in Tamil Nadu.
- The entity should be registered as a Private Limited Company (under Companies Act 2013), or a Limited Liability Partnership (Under Limited Liability Partnership Act 2008) or a registered Partnership firm (under Partnership Act 1932).
- The average profit of the entity (as per income tax return) for the last 3 years (or lesser in case it’s a newly registered entity) shall be less than Rs.5 Lakh.
- Working towards innovation, development or improvement of products or processes with a high potential of employment generation, social impact or wealth creation.
- The entity should not have been formed by splitting up, reconstruction of a business already in existence or as a Subsidiary/Joint Venture/Associate of another Company.
- The startup should have cleared all / not have any other pending dues with any of the Government agencies and shall not be blacklisted by any Government agency in India.
- The applicant may be incubated in an incubator for at least six months at the time of application.
- Applicant has to be an Indian start-up. This support is not meant for Indian Subsidiaries of MNCs/Foreign Companies. Persons holding Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) would be considered as Indian citizens for the purpose of this scheme. The shareholding by Indian promoters in the incubated Startup should be at least 51%.
- The Seed Grant is not generally given for service Startups working in Trade and Commerce.
- The seed fund shall be funding the development of the prototype or a product which is market ready / of small level pilot production only and shall not be for regular research which any University or College can foster.
- The startups are required to submit additional information and documents as on requested by StartupTN for availing the grant.
- StartupTN reserves all rights in adding additional conditions / modifying existing conditions on a case-to-case basis.
About Headstart Network Foundation
Headstart is one of India’s oldest and largest startup ecosystem development organizations. They have been chasing the vision ‘changing the world with entrepreneurship’ ever since. It is a not-for-profit organization, almost entirely volunteer driven! We are all in it for the love of building and sustaining communities. The volunteers are a passionate bunch – entrepreneurs, aspiring entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship enthusiasts, with a fervent desire and commitment to being change agents.
Headstart is committed to building a thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem in the country through its many initiatives, which include:
- Startup Saturday, Our flagship initiative, that happens across multiple Indian cities on the 2nd Saturday of every month. It is based on a particular theme every month. The format typically includes expert talks on a focused subject, panel discussions, startup pitches and demos
- Headstart Higher is our hiring initiative, with a speed dating format of match making amazing startups with incredible candidates.
- WE@Headstart is our initiative focused on supporting women entrepreneurs with resources, guidance and mentorship. More than women only sessions, we are more geared up towards getting more women entrepreneurs into the ecosystem and building them up.
- Kickstart – It is a closed-door pitching session where pre-selected start-ups will be invited to pitch in front of a panel of investors.
- Mentor – This is a group mentoring session on a particular topic with 4 mentees and 1 expert mentor who is an established expert on that topic.
Association with Headstart:
Headstart Chennai has been associated with StartupTN team (TANSIM) and EDII-TN for the last three years. They have facilitated connections to mentors, corporates, investors and venture capitalists for various pilot initiatives taken up by the StartupTN (TANSIM) team under EDII-TN to promote the startup ecosystem in the State.
Tamil Nadu Innovation Grand Challenge 2018-19, 2020 and First Edition of TANSEED 2021 are the prominent startup seed funding initiatives taken up by the Government with the support of Headstart and several key ecosystem partners.